All refund requests are conditional on the following:
• The Institute must have received funds in order for any refunds to be made available (i.e. cheques are cleared, telegraphic transfers have been received);
• Any debts to the Institute must be paid in full or the outstanding amounts will be deducted from the refund.
THE AUSTRALIAN GOVERNMENT REFUSES VISA
If the student visa application or visa renewal is refused by the Australian Government, a full refund of course fees less the Administration Fees will be made. In order to receive the refund students will have to provide authenticated evidence of the student visa refusal to the Institute.
However, no refunds will be granted where:
• An international student, currently in Australia, has their student visa cancelled by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) for a breach of visa conditions; or
• An international student, currently in Australia, has their student visa extension application refused by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) after the commencement of their studies, for not meeting visa requirements.
PROVIDER DEFAULT ON DELIVERY OF QUALIFICATION
In an unlikely event that the Institute is unable to start or deliver the course, the student can choose to accept either:
• a refund of the course fees, which will be issued to the student within 14 days; or
• to be placed in an alternative course with the Institute or another provider. If the Student chooses placement in an alternative course, the student must sign a new written agreement to indicate the student accepted the placement.
If the student chooses to receive a refund of the course fees, the Institute will calculate the unspent portion of the tuition fees paid to date (that is tuition fees the student has paid for but has not been delivered by the Institute). The refund will be paid within 14 days on which the course ceased to be provided.
If the Institute is unable to provide a refund or place the student in an alternative course, the Tuition Protection Service (TPS) will provide the student with options for suitable alternative courses (if any such courses are available) or if this is not possible, the student will be eligible for a refund as calculated by the TPS Director.
WITHDRAWAL FROM THE COURSE
Where written notice of withdrawal is received by the Institute before the start date of the course, the Institute will refund the fees as per the table below less the administration fee of $200.
Where notice of withdrawal is received Refund of fees paid for first term Refund of fees paid for subsequent terms
At least 28 days prior to course commencement date 80% 100%
Less than 28 days but more than 14 days prior to course commencement date 70% 100%
Less than 14 days prior to course commencement date No refund 100%
Refunds will be made available within 28 days (20 working days) of written notification being received by the Institute.
Where a student withdraws from the course and returns home because of exceptional and extenuating circumstances of a compassionate nature, such as a death or severe illness in the immediate family, 100% of all the unspent fees paid less any administration fees will be refunded.
The Student must complete an Application for Refund form to apply for a refund and attach all evidence and supporting documentations. Such document may include, but is not limited to:
• a letter from DIBP advising of a rejection of the student visa application or a refusal to extend a student visa; or
• proof of extenuating circumstances of a compassionate nature; or
• an unconditional offer letter from another institution along with a DIBP approved letter to transfer
For the Institute defaults on the agreement, refunds will be made within 14 days of the default date.
All other refunds will be made within 28 days (20 working days) of written notification from the student being received by the Institute.
Refunds will be paid to the student or to the person nominated by the student on the refund application in Australian Dollars
PAYMENT OF REFUNDS
Payment of refunds to the applicant will be made in Australian dollars by a bank draft or telegraphic or electronic transfer (or other approved payment options).
STUDENT’S RIGHTS TO APPEAL
• Any student who is refused a refund by the Institute may appeal within 14 days in writing to Student Administration.
• The Institute’s appeal process does not circumscribe the student’s right to pursue other legal remedies.
This agreement, and the availability of complaints and appeal processes, does not remove the right of the student to take action under Australia’s consumer protection laws.